Tuesday, September 16, 2014

College Checklist

 Sorry for being M.I.A. again! I traveled about 1,726 miles for college starting in January until July 24th. Since then I haven't really had any desire/time to post. Plus, I don't exactly have a lot time for my Lush stuff out here. Side note: the closest Lush is 4 1/2 hours away *insert sad face*

 However, I recently thought of something to post about! A "This is the Stuff I Brought to College" kind of post! During the packing process, I got lucky that I thought of the simple things, those are usually what I forget. When I got here I realized I needed a lot of the simple necessities. *Side Note: I live in an apartment with 5 other girls as my roommates and had kitchen stuff to worry about*

 Upon Arriving, I would need to buy basic school supplies, towels, kitchen supplies, and storage supplies- who would take all of that on a plane? I tried to pack pretty much everything I could buy at home then cram in my suitcases and carry-on without overloading.

Basics

-Chargers *For all electronics you bring!!!
-Pencils/ Pens *I found I didn't need pencils, just always used pen
-Laptop *tons of papers are required to be printed and aren't accepted if handwritten
-Notebook Paper
-Printer Paper *be aware that your roomies will ALL ask to use it. I wound up needing to charge
-Highlighters/Sharpies
-Scissors/ Tape/ Stapler *The mini versions are super convenient and space savers
-Staple Puller
~Washi Tape *not sure how well it works on typical dorm walls, mine were super glossy and it didn't refused to hold up pictures
-Masking Tape *I had to use this to hang up pictures and twinkle lights above my bed
-Packing Tape *sending packages/repairing old boxes for storage
-Binders *I found that 3 is too many
-5-Subject Notebook *Really only needed this for my classes
-Manila Folder *Used this for older papers
-Small expandable Organizer *I used it for receipts

~Rubber Bands/ Paperclips/ Binder clips (small) *because who knows, you may severely need these
-White-out *bottle and pen forms. Pen = super convenient for class
~Ruler *never know
~Note Cards
-Post-its/ Post-it tabs *mostly used for cute notes to roomies/ marking textbook pages
~Colored Pencils  *I like drawing sooo...
~Pencil Sharpener *refer to the one above
~Eraser
-Hole Reinforcements
-Hole Puncher
-Composition Notebook
-Flash Drive *My laptop died multiple times so this was handy to back up things
-Fan(s) *necessary in Spring/Summer/Fall
-Laundry Hamper
-Detergent *The pods are super convenient (simply pop one in the wash)
-Stain Remover *Lots can happen when you're away
~Static Guard *Winter = So. Much. Static.


Bathroom
**In our bathroom, we each have a drawer so I keep the majority of bathroom stuff there. Plus I had a set of plastic drawers on the side of misc. bathroom stuff or papers.**
-Towels/ Washcloths
-Toothbrush/ Toothpaste
-Cup *so the toothbrush can actually dry
-Razors/ Shaving Cream
-Deodorant
-Feminine Products
-Brush/ Comb
-Room Spray *It's nice not to have than lingering stench, if you get what I mean
~Perfume/ Body Spray
~Flat Iron/ Curling Iron (or wand)/ Blow Dryer
-Shampoo/ Conditioner
-Body Wash/ Soap
~Hand and Body Lotions
-Q-tips
~Facial Cotton Rounds
~Cotton balls
~Makeup
~Makeup Remover
~Hairspray
~Leave-in Conditioner

Things for Your Actual Room


-Pillow(s) and case(s)
-Sheets and mattress cover *mattress covers were required in our apartment
~Mattress Topper *We got a cheap memory foam, it made a huge difference in comfort! :)
-Hangers *Shirt and Skirt/Pants hangers!
-Slippers *The floors are actually rather gross, never go barefoot!
~Dresser *IF there's room, I happened to have enough
-Supply Organizer with compartments *pictured below

 

~Tissues *if you put them in the bathroom, your roomies WILL use them and not care if they get replenished 
-Medium-sized Baskets *keeps things mostly out of sight and out of mind

-Makeup Mirror (Lighted) *with 5 other girls, getting ready is typically a hassle, this just made life easier
~Hanging Organizer *just additional storage for some things you can't find room for
~Twinkle Lights *Created a calm atmosphere in the room :) Pictured below
-Shoes *Depend on seasons you're there. Nice to have at least one pair of each: boots (Winter kind and fall kind), booties, heels, flats, sandals, flip-flops, tennis shoes.
-Under-the-bed shoe box or Hanging Shoe Organizer *I went with under-the-bed shoe storage
-Power Strips *My outlets were so inconvenient and I had so many things to plug in -This is my favorite style, they come in lots of colors now (mine was plain white)
**My apartment complex provided cinder blocks for us to lift our beds since the feet were oddly shaped. Lifting it even that little was a huge help with storage space**

Wellness/Emergency Items
-Motrin/ Advil/ Tylenol
-Alka-Seltzer Pills *evil colds attack, even at college
-Tums
-Pepto-Bismol *liquid or pill, personal preference
-Cortizone Cream
-Band-Aids
-Neosporin +Pain Relief *works wonders
-Tweezers *very pointy in case of splinters, etc. I did actually get splinters
~Box to store it all in
-Small Lantern/ Flashlight
-Batteries for this lantern/flashlight

Kitchen
-Utensil Set
-Cups *you won't feel like washing that one cup every time you drink something different
-Water Bottles *super convenient in your room and on campus (go for camelbak for spill-proof reasons)
-Heat-resistant Spoon
-Spatula 
-Whisk
-Knives *cutting veggies, meat, etc.
-Strainer
-Sponge
-Dish Detergent
-Dish Rack/ Towels
-Paper Towels 
-Plates/ Bowls
-Zip-lock Baggies *various sizes
-Foil
-Plastic Wrap
-Measuring Cups/ Measuring Spoons
-Pots/ Pans *Pictured below
Things That Are Nice to Have
-Movies!
-Nail Polish
-Nail File
-Nail Clippers
-Lip Balm/ Chapstick!
-Sunscreen
-Sunglasses
-Paints/ Paint Brushes 
-Journal
-Cards *to send to friends/family
-Envelopes/ Stamps *to send those cards
-iPod
-Jewelry
-Pictures *tape on wall and/or put in frames- i did a combo of both
-Stuffed Animal *Mine was a HK my bestie bought me, it helps with homesickness in my opinion
-Fuzzy Blankets *great for movie nights
-Reed Diffusers or other flameless fragrance *My roomie used an electric wax melter, the great scent totally transformed bad moods
-Mod Podge *Never know when you'll need to get crafty

I hope you guys enjoy this list and that it helps you out a bit. I had an amazing first year of college and I wound up with some pretty great roommates. There will most likely be drama somewhere along the line, but try your best to push through. Remember the light at the end of the tunnel. :)
Good luck and all my best, Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment